BackupEDGE™ is a high performance, easy to use, fully integrated backup, restore and bare metal disaster recovery software product for Linux® and UNIX® operating systems.
the entire process of protecting critical data
while shielding the user from the headaches involved in directly managing individual actions
the industry's widest variety of storage devices,
including traditional tape drives, Blu-ray Disc™ (BD-RE), DVD and CD writers, tape changers, libraries and autoloaders, and USB and SATA† flash drives, disk drives and cartridges.
backups to network-attached storage
(NAS) devices, servers and appliances over the local network or Internet using the FTP, FTPS, SMB/CIFS, and NFS protocols†
BackupEDGE fully supports
Cloud (Internet) backups
to the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) web storage cloud and many other sites around the world who use the S3 storage API, such as Google Cloud Storage and Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage.
uses a modern, standards-based data format
that allows for very long pathnames, very high compression ratios, ACLs (access control lists), multiple archive verification strategies and highly secure data encryption.
Its modular architecture
providing great flexibility
in implementing and maintaining backup strategies.
is one of the most flexible in the industry,
combining Date, Time, Domain and Backup Type with Resource Quotas and Retention Times, to allow users to create simple or highly configurable storage strategies.
has an industry exclusive management interface
called EDGEMENU. The tri-mode interface runs on the graphical desktop or can be enabled as a web service and run remotely from a Java-equipped web browser. It may also be run in legacy character mode from the character console or from terminals and terminal emulators.
† Operating system dependent.
Automated disaster recovery (DR) software!
RecoverEDGE™ is automated disaster recovery (DR) software allowing complete bare metal recovery after a hardware failure without having to re-install the operating system, configure device drivers, etc. It comes free with the Linux, UnixWare® 7, OpenServer™ 6 and OpenServer 5 versions of BackupEDGE.
RecoverEDGE custom built boot media and a BackupEDGE backup (which on some archive types can be combined into a "bootable backup") are all that is necessary to recover from a hardware or software catastrophe.
Linux Versions support UEFI or BIOS-based installations (03.02.00 and later).
Boot media types include:
CD / DVD / Blu-Ray Disc™
PXE Boot Image
HP ODBR™ bootable tape
03.04.00 Build 2 - Now Available!
- Network / Security Libraries updated
- Dynamic Loop Device Discovery added
- Added Testing for more unsupported opeating system configurations
- Improved Disaster Recovery with GPT on DOS-formatted disks
- Intel I210-series NIC support added
03.04.00 Build 1
- NVMe support for Linux
- /dev/vdX virtual disk support
- Grub 2 installation without /boot partition support
- Improved Remote Installation support
- Ubuntu 20.04.2 Desktop support
- Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS Server support
03.03.01 Build 2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 support
- CentOS 8.3-2011 support
- Oracle Linux Server 8.3 support
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.9 support
- CentOS 7.9-2009 support
- Oracle Linux Server 7.9 support
- Ubuntu 20.10 Server support
- Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop support
- Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Server support
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server support
- Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Desktop support
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop support
- Linux Mint 20 support
03.03.01 Build 1 - New Features / Capabilities
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 15 SP2 support
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 support
- Oracle Linux Server 8.2 support
- CentOS 8.2-2004 support
- OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 support
- S3CLOUD Test URL Handling Improved for Wasabi support
- OSR6 MP4 Improved psm_amp module handling
- 32-Bit Linux SharpDrive Booting fixed
- EDGE.REMOVE program updated and optimized
03.03.00 Build 3 - New Features / Capabilities
- Updated Linux GPT Support
- Updated communications and security libraries
- Improved RecoverEDGE module support
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.8 support
- CentOS 7.8-2003 support
- Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS support
03.03.00 Build 2 - New Features / Capabilities
- CentOS 8.1-1911 Support
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5 Support
- Oracle Linux Server 8.1 Support
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 Support
- Ubuntu 19.10 Server Support
- Xterm - Ncurses Fix
- Wasabi Test URL Fix
03.03.00 Build 1 - New Features / Capabilities
- CentOS 8.0-1905 Support
- CentOS 7.7-1908 Support
- New Product Release for 5.x Kernels - edgelx50_64
- Ubuntu 19.04 Server Support
- Updated Compression Libraries
See our Newsletter File for additional information.
What To Do
- Click on our Downloads link to download and install a no-charge 60 day BackupEDGE demo on your own server.
- Learn more about BackupEDGE 3.x.
- See What's New in our 3.x product line.
- Download the Reviewer's Guide to get a quick overview.
- Get the User Guide for all current product information.
- See our Worldwide Cloud Backups section for more information on inexpensive cloud storage.
- See our P2V section for information on Server Physical to Virtual Conversion.
† P2V via GoToMeeting or ZOOM session only if pre-qualified.
Last Updated - 2021/02/19