New In November
- Encryption Giveaway!
- BackupEDGE 03.03.00 Build 2 Released
- Recent New Features and Updates
- Renewing a Support and Maintenance Subscription
- Compatibility Notes
Free Encryption License Offer
From now until November 27, 20191, Microlite Corporation is offering a FREE ENCRYPTION LICENSE with each new retail BackupEDGE license sold. This represents a $150.00 value. The encryption license, if activated, must be used along with the BackupEDGE license it was sold with. It is not transferable, and not subject to prior sale.
Our Data Encryption option is among the finest and most secure in the world. It provides an extra degree of protection for all archives, and is especially useful in HIPAA and other situations where regulatory compliance is an issue. It is also useful when doing cloud / internet backups. See our recently updated Encryption Whitepaper for additional information
1Microlite is closed Nov. 28 and 29 for Thanksgiving. Nov. 27 is the last sales day of the month, so get your orders in early!
BackupEDGE 03.03.00 Build 2
We are pleased to announce BackupEDGE 03.03.00 build 2. Changes include:
- Added a new product release for Linux 5.x Kernels (edgelx50_64).
- Added support for Ubuntu 19.10 Server (Eoan Ermine).
- Added support for Ubuntu 19.04 Server (Disco Dingo).
- Added support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 Server.
- Added support for CentOS 8.0-1905.
- Added support for CentOS 7.7-1908.
- Updated our latest internal compression libraries..
All licenses under a valid Support and Maintenance Subscription as of September 16, 2019 may update to this release at no charge. Please contact our sales department to renew older Subscriptions.
Recent New Features and Updates
Engineering has been working hard keeping up with recent operating releases, while also adding new features and improvements. Over the last few releases, we've:
- Added Linux 5.x Kernel support.
- Certified or added the latest operating system releases such as:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15
- SUSE Leap 15
- CentOS 8.0-1905
- CentOS 7.7-1908
- and more..
- Kept up with security and compression libraries.
- Added additional LVM Support to RecoverEDGE for 64-bit SUSE-based distributions.
- Updated the HTML-based nightly backup reports.
- Improved support for embedding reseller or support provider information in backup reports.
- Improved performance in S3CLOUD and FTP/FTPS backups.
All while doing normal maintenance and bug fixes. If you haven't updated your clients to give them the benefits of the latest product improvements, this would be a great time to do so.
Renewing a Support and Maintenance Subscription
When a Support and Maintenance Subscription is renewed, access to the latest BackupEDGE release is enabled. A new date-encoded activation code is sent.
This key must be entered into BackupEDGE through EDGEMENU to allow the license to accept either automatically or manually applied updates.
From EDGEMENU, got to Setup, then Activate BackupEDGE, then Activate. Type or paste the new activation code, then press [Enter] twice to save the code. Exit and restart EDGEMENU to enable the code.
You may now either manually download and install the latest BackupEDGE release, or use File then Check for Updates from within EDGEMENU to automatically check, download and update to the latest release.
Whenever you update BackupEDGE, please remember to re-make and archive your RecoverEDGE media or ISO images for safekeeping.
Whenever new updates are released by an operating system vendor, it is important to check our Linux Support Tables and UNIX Support Tables to ensure that we support the update, and to see the minimum BackupEDGE release required for proper operation with that update. BackupEDGE and RecoverEDGE are not like word processing software. They require intimate knowledge of the kernel to do their jobs properly.
Please note that the tables show the minimum required releases. Newer releases are always checked for backward compatibility, and contain the latest patches, fixes and feature and performance enhancements.
Easy update availability is another good reason to keep your BackupEDGE license under a current Support and Maintenance Subscription.
D. Thomas Podnar