October 2015 Newsletter
Dear BackupEDGE User,
This edition of the BackupEDGE Newsletter is all about Virtualization.
Virtualizing Operating Systems.
Virtualizing the operating system on a physical server can be the key to preserving its applications and migrating it to faster hardware that it may not support on its own.
It also enables the operating system and applications to be easily migrated to internet-based, or "cloud" servers, potentially lowering future maintenance costs and ensuring "run forever" status. Today we'll discuss OpenServer 6 and Linux.
Virtualizing SCO (Now Xinuos) OpenServer 6
Xinuos (formerly SCO) OpenServer 6 can be a rather difficult operating system to virtualize or migrate to new hardware. Its lack of an easy method of changing host bus adapters is one of the many issues involved when needing to perform a migration or Physical to Virtual (P2V) machine conversion.
Microlite Corporation has developed a PROPRIETARY PROCEDURE that:
- Enables P2V conversions to VMware ESXi 4.1 and above.
- Allows the target virtual machine filesystem sizes to be modified as necessary. They may be grown or shrunk as needed.
- Allows physical hard drives to be consolidated into fewer virtual drives.
- Enables and optimizes host bus and network adapters compatible with VMware.
- Preserves the OpenServer 6 license.
The resulting virtual machine can have as many CPUs and as much RAM as OpenServer 6 and VMware support.
While the virtualization document describes a procedure with specific reference to VMware virtual machines, in reality it can be applied to any physical hardware capable of supporting the OpenServer 6 operating system.
The PROCEDURE is outlined in a 15 Page PDF document. To use it...
- The source server must have a fully licensed copy of OpenServer 6. This license will transfer to the destination server.
- The source server must be completely up-to date with using the PATCHK tool from SCO / Xinuos.
- The source server must have a current copy of BackupEDGEinstalled, with a 5 Year Support and Maintenance Subscription. This license will transfer to the destination server.
- The individual licensing the PROCEDURE must sign and return an Order Form and Confidentiality Agreement agreeing that they are using it for one server only.
A copy of the Order Form and Confidentiality Agreement is located HERE.
The Introduction to the OpenServer 6 Virtualization and Disparate Hardware Conversion Procedure is located HERE.
The new Virtualization Section of the Microlite Web Site is located HERE.
Virtualizing Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Oracle Linux Server / CentOS
Linux physical-to-virtual (P2V) conversion/recovery is built into RecoverEDGE. This allows the user to take a physical server with a supported Linux release and easily convert it into a virtual server running under VMware ESXi.
There is no extra fee for this support on our Linux releases.
P2V - Requirements
- BackupEDGE must be licensed and activated. P2V capability is not available while in 60 day demo mode.
- Must be virtualizing to VMware ESXi 5 or later. Earlier versions of VMware may work but are not supported.
- FTP (URL) backups are recommended, but in reality any storage Resource that can be used by both a physical server or VMware virtual machine (VM) will work.
P2V - Supported Linux Distributions
Must be using a supported Linux distribution. BackupEDGE 03.00.07 build 1
and later supports:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x or 5.x.
- CentOS Server 6.5 or 5.x.
- Oracle Linux Server 6.x.
BackupEDGE 03.01.00 build 2
and later also supports:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 / 7.1. (LVM-based servers not currently supported.)
- CentOS Server 7 / 7.1. (LVM-based servers not currently supported.)
- Oracle Linux Server 7/ 7.1. (LVM-based servers not currently supported.)
The latest available version of BackupEDGE is always recommended as we frequently improve the process.
The P2V procedure is described in detail in Section 29 - Disaster Recovery - Linux P2V of the BackupEDGE User Guide. Please see the User Guide for additional information and capabilities.
Helpful Web Site Links
Kindest regards, and thanks for your continuing support of Microlite Corporation and BackupEDGE.
D. Thomas Podnar
888-257-3343 - Toll-Free
724-375-6711 - Main