June 2015 Newsletter
Dear BackupEDGE User,
We're pleased to announce the release of BackupEDGE 03.01.02, with support for...
- NFS Backups
- SharpDrive™ GPT Support
- Ubuntu 15.04 Support
At the request of clients in the enterprise space, we've enabled NFS Backups on all supported platforms.
It is now possible to use the standard FSP / AF disk-to-disk Resources to construct NFS mounts and directories, beginning with BackupEDGE 03.01.02.
BackupEDGE provides the same "Transparent Media Technology" access to NFS Backups that it does to all other media types, including...
- Full or partial backups of servers or parts of servers with dual data integrity checking (bit-level + full file checksum).
- Instant File Restore™, providing access to individual files and folders in seconds.
- Full management of multiple archives, including quotas, retention, and selectable lazy reclamation.
- 9 levels of compression to balance performance and space management.
- Optional encryption.
NFS Backups are completely supported, including full compatibility with RecoverEDGE bare metal recovery, on Linux 2.6 and later platforms, and on Xinuos SCO OpenServer 5.
NFS Backups are completely supported, except for RecoverEDGE bare metal recovery, on Xinuos SCO OpenServer 6 and later platforms, and UnixWare 7.1.4.
Some environments are better equipped to handle NFS than our traditional FTP/FTPS Backups. This will add additional protection capabilities to the product with the most flexible storage options in the industry.
Please see the new Configuring NFS Backups section of the BackupEDGE User Guide for additional information.
All 3.x clients under a current Support and Maintenance Subscription may download and install 03.01.02 build 1 directly over their current release to enable NFS Backups..
SharpDrive™ GPT Support
Our SharpDrive automatic method for using removable disk cartridges, flash drives and USB disk drives under Linux 2.6 and greater kernels has previously been limited to devices with 2TB or less capacity. With BackupEDGE 03.01.02 we've added GPT partitioning support.
Now, when configuring BackupEDGE for use with SharpDrives, the user may select either FDISK partitioning or GPT partitioning.
- If FDISK is selected, all SharpDrive media initialized by BackupEDGE...
- will use FDISK partitions.
- may be made bootable for RecoverEDGE bare metal recovery if desired. Of course, optical media, ISO images or PXE booting may still be used to start bare metal recovery.
- will be limited to 2TB in capacity by FDISK.
- If GPT is selected, all SharpDrive media initialized by BackupEDGE...
- will use GPT partitioning.
- may not be made bootable for RecoverEDGE. Optical media, ISO images or PXE booting must be used to start bare metal recovery.
- may be any capacity.
- All Linux 3.x clients on Linux 2.6 or later kernels who are under a current Support and Maintenance Subscription may download and install 03.01.02 build 1 directly over their current release to enable GPT for SharpDrive.
Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vertet
BackupEDGE 03.01.02 begins support for Ubuntu 15.04 64bit server.
Updated Security and Communications Libraries
We constantly track changes in the security and communications libraries used by BackupEDGE, even if we probably aren't using portions of the libraries that may be subject to vulnerability. BackupEDGE 03.01.01 build 3 and build 4 have the most recent libraries available.
Double-Buffering Default Change
All BackupEDGE releases prior to 03.01.02 ignored the double-buffering flags in the individual Resources by default. Beginning with 03.01.02, new installs will have this enabled by default, while in-place upgrades will carry over the previous setting.
Modern systems with more system resources may see significant benefits by enabling this. Older systems with very little memory may see no change or a performance decrease, as this setting uses more system resources.
Other 3.x users may enable double buffering by making sure the following to variables in /usr/lib/edge/config/master.cfg are un-commented and set as below...
Communications and Security Libraries
We remain vigilant about updating our communications and SSL libraries to the latest standards, even though we don't believe BackupEDGE is exploitable this way. This release has the latest updates available at build time.
Helpful Web Site Links
Kindest regards, and thanks for your continuing support of Microlite Corporation and BackupEDGE.
D. Thomas Podnar
888-257-3343 - Toll-Free
724-375-6711 - Main