|Dear BackupEDGE User,
Welcome to our September 2014 Newsletter. This month we'll cover...
BackupEDGE 03.01.00 with Red Hat / CentOS 7 / Ubuntu 14.04 Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 was commercially released on June 10, 2014. Two days later, on June 12, 2014, we began shipping BackupEDGE 03.01.00 with support for this exciting new operating system, along with support for Ubuntu 14.04. You can read our press release HERE.
We are currently at release 03.01.00 build 3, which adds CentOS 7 support (yes, they are different) and some other new features I'll mention later in this newsletter.
Oracle Linux Server 7 is also released now and required a few additional changes. Support is complete but not released yet. Please let us know if you need to use this operating system.
Please see our web site Linux Support Tables page for all the latest information.
Linux P2V Support Update
03.00.07 added P2V (physical to virtual) migration support for the following Linux distributions...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x and 5.x.
- CentOS 6.x and 5.x.
- Oracle Linux Server 6.4 and later.
03.01.00 build 3 and later have added P2V support for:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
- CentOS 7.
When making RecoverEDGE media/images, P2V mode automatically prepares the media to recover either to the original machine or to a VMware ESXi 5 or later server. It is important to read the Linux P2V section of the BackupEDGEUser Guide (currently section 28) to see what is necessary to use this feature.
Linux P2V requires a registered and activated version of BackupEDGE on the physical server. This capability will not function in 60 day demo mode. A Whitepaper is also available.
Java Code Signing Certificate
The EDGEMENU Java Web Interface now has an embedded commercial Java Code Signing Certificate. This allows access to it from computers with the latest Java releases, which lock down unsigned apps.
Amazon S3 Pricing Lowered Again, but Changes Are Coming
As Amazon Web Services lowers the pricing for Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) we continue to be pro-active in passing the changes along.
As of August 1, 2014, the pricing model changed to...
- $20.00 per month, including the first 100GB per month of storage and 100GB per month of downloads. Uploads remain free.
- $0.10 per GB for any storage overages after 100GB.
- $0.15 per GB for any download overages after 100GB.
The value continues to improve. Also, an update to BackupEDGE 03.01.00 build 2 or later is highly recommended as we've fixed a potential data caching issue. All Amazon S3 users should update, then re-build their RecoverEDGE media.
We've been notified by Amazon that the accounting method Amazon has been using to track and bill for BackupEDGE storage (called DevPay) is changing at the end of the year. We are working with Amazon engineering to make sure that we can smoothly transition to the upgraded storage capability.
See the Amazon S3 section of our web site for additional information.
Microlite Corporation has completed an audit of all BackupEDGE releases which might use libraries containing the HeartBleed Bug (CVE-2014-0160) or other SSL/TLS vulnerabilities in OpenSSL.
Information about these updates can be found on our security page located HERE. Our latest 03.01.00 releases contain all of the SSL/TLS patches through (CVE-2014-0224) June 05, 2014.
Internal Microlite Updates
Microlite is undergoing a major internal systems transformation with the goal of being more responsive to your needs...
- All of our internal systems now generate high quality, small sized, easily emailed PDFs. This includes Licenses, Activation Forms, Invoices, and Packing lists. We'd like to eliminate faxing entirely by the end of 2014.
- We're switching our telephone service from legacy analog lines to completely digital.
- To increase reliability and accessibility, inbound faxing is now handled by a commercial service and delivered to us via email.
Please let us know via email at email@example.com if you have any trouble either communicating with us or handling any of our forms during this transition period.
Updating Support and Maintenance Subscriptions
Keeping BackupEDGE under a valid Support and Maintenance Subscription is important.
While under a Subscription...
- Products are eligible for both telephone and email technical support.
- Product upgrade fees are waived. For example, BackupEDGE 2.x users may upgrade to 3.x at any time during the course of the subscription at no additional charge.
- Cross-platform upgrade fees are waived when moving from BackupEDGE on any platform to another supported platform.
- BackupEDGE 3.x licensees have continuing access to the Microlite upgrade servers during the course of the Support and Maintenance Subscription simply by entering a new activation code into EDGEMENU which is provided with each Renewal or Extension.
If your Support and Maintenance Subscription has expired, you may Renew it for up to five years.
If you have a currently active Support and Maintenance Subscription, you may Extend it at an even lower price.
To Renew or Extend, Please contact your reseller or download, complete and return the Subscription Renewal and Extension Form.
Please scan and email the completed form to your reseller, or back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also return it via postal mail (address is on the form) or fax it directly to us at 724-375-6908.
Helpful Web Site Links
Kindest regards, and thanks for your continuing support of Microlite and BackupEDGE.
D. Thomas Podnar
888-257-3343 - Toll-Free
724-375-6711 - Main
To be removed from this newsletter list, please reply with a remove request.